Science of Obesity – The Best Approaches for Losing Weight (Pt VI)
This video provides scientific evidence about why exercise should NOT be used alone for weight loss. The video discusses pragmatic, safe and evidence-based approaches for weight loss. I also give my opinion on the many weight loss diets out there.
References for further reading:
1) Franz, M. J., VanWormer, J. J., Crain, A. L., Boucher, J. L., Histon, T., Caplan, W., … & Pronk, N. P. (2007). Weight-loss outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of weight-loss clinical trials with a minimum 1-year follow-up. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 107(10), 1755-1767.
2) Willis, L. H., Slentz, C. A., Bateman, L. A., Shields, A. T., Piner, L. W., Bales, C. W., … & Kraus, W. E. (2012). Effects of aerobic and/or resistance training on body mass and fat mass in overweight or obese adults. Journal of applied physiology, 113(12), 1831-1837.
3) Ross, R., Dagnone, D., Jones, P. J., Smith, H., Paddags, A., Hudson, R., & Janssen, I. (2000). Reduction in obesity and related comorbid conditions after diet-induced weight loss or exercise-induced weight loss in men: a randomized, controlled trial. Annals of internal medicine, 133(2), 92-103.
4) Church, T. S., Martin, C. K., Thompson, A. M., Earnest, C. P., Mikus, C. R., & Blair, S. N. (2009). Changes in weight, waist circumference and compensatory responses with different doses of exercise among sedentary, overweight postmenopausal women. PloS one, 4(2), e4515. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0004515
5) Paravidino VB, Mediano MFF, Hoffman DJ, Sichieri R (2016) Effect of Exercise Intensity on Spontaneous Physical Activity Energy Expenditure in Overweight Boys: A Crossover Study. PLOS ONE 11(1): e0147141. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0147141
6) Fogelholm, M., & Kukkonen‐Harjula, K. (2000). Does physical activity prevent weight gain–a systematic review. Obesity reviews, 1(2), 95-111.
7) Moholdt, T., Wisløff, U., Lydersen, S., & Nauman, J. (2014). Current physical activity guidelines for health are insufficient to mitigate long-term weight gain: more data in the fitness versus fatness debate (The HUNT study, Norway). Br J Sports Med, 48(20), 1489-1496.
8) Klem, M. L., Wing, R. R., McGuire, M. T., Seagle, H. M., & Hill, J. O. (1997). A descriptive study of individuals successful at long-term maintenance of substantial weight loss. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 66(2), 239-246.
A nice article about how to address physical activity in clinic consultations: Sallis, R., Franklin, B., Joy, L., Ross, R., Sabgir, D., & Stone, J. (2015). Strategies for promoting physical activity in clinical practice. Progress in cardiovascular diseases, 57(4), 375-386.
Video for Best Diet To Lose Weight For Obese
Best Diet To Lose Weight For Obese youtube video content